In order to keep your child safe in your home, you need to baby proof it! A good age to baby proof your home is around 0-6 months or while your child is still stationary. You can find these kits anywhere that sell baby items.
1. The first step you should take is to cover all outlets with plugs so your child doesn't risk putting small objects or even fingers into these small spaces.
2. Another very important area is the cabinets in the kitchen. Make sure you put a lock on the cabinets and drawers so you can keep your baby safe.
3. Do keep Ipecac syrup on hand in case your child ingests any poisonous chemicals.
4. I would also suggest putting the safety knobs on your stove and even a stove guard so your child doesn't risk putting their hands near the hot stove.
5. Safety gates are fantastic to keep your child in a designated area so they don't get hurt. Use these gates in doorways and also at the top and bottom of the staircase.
6. Safety doorknobs are also a must especially if you have an explorer! You can also put hook and eyes on doors too for piece of mind!
7. Toilet seat locks are also a must. This is a dangerous area where kids will try to play in the water and could possibly fall in. These locks will prevent any injuries.
8. Cover sharp edges of tables or fireplaces ledges with foam covers. This will help prevent any serious injuries.
9. Make sure all areas of the house have the proper smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors and make sure all batteries are working properly.
10. Secure all furniture like bookcases and armoires to the walls to reduce the risk of the furniture from toppling over.
Try crawling around areas of your house like your baby would so you can explore what safety measures to take. It's important to keep him/her out of harms way. We all know that accidents do happen. Following these steps will help prevent them!